Your assignment for this week is to perform real-world inferential statistics in relation to the average tuition cost of a 4 year public college. Based on this number and data you collect, you will form a hypothesis, test the claim, and interpret the results. You may use Excel.
Use a significance level of a = .05
1. ( 4 points) Visit https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/college-costs/college-costs-faqs
and look up the ‘Average Published Yearly Tuition and Fees’ for Public Four-Year College (in state students) according to “The College Board” (scroll down to find the table).
Average Published Yearly Tuition and Fees for Public Four-Year College (in state students) according to “The College Board” = _
2. ( 8 points) Use the attached Excel table to see the average cost of tuition by state. (public four year college) and use the cost of tuition per year for in state students.
a) ) USE every THI RD state START I NG WITH MT (MONTANA) since they are in order from low to high so we get a good sample of all 50 states.
b) Do not count (skip) US (United States) or delete that row before you start.
Notice that that US average is different -it is $9650. So our claim is that the average in-state tuition is more than $9410.
You should have 16 states for public four year colleges in-state tuition.
Name of State
Cost of’ Tuition (per year for in s1
3. 10pts. Form the hypotheses ( and alternative) and identify the claim
4. 6pts. State the distribution and test statistic to be used.
5. 4pts. Find the sample mean to the nearest whole number.
6. 4 pts. Find the sample standard deviation to the nearest who le number.
7. 6pts. Find the value of the test statistic. To 3 decimal places
8. 8pts. Compute and interpret the p-value. To 2 decimal places
9. 4pts. Use the previous informat ion to sketch a picture of this situation. CLEARLY, label and sca le the horizonta l ax is and shade the region(s) corresponding to the p-value.
10. 6pts. Make the decision to reject or to not reject the hypothesis. Explain.
11. 6pts. Form a conclusion written in terms of the original claim.
12. 6 pts. Ide ntify any Type I or Type II errors.
13) 8pts. Construct a 95 % confidence interval. Explain what this means.