Reflection Paper :Contribution of Life Experience to Self -concept
• To assist students in understanding how significant events in one’s life play a big part in the person we grow up to be
• To allow students to understand the impact that past experiences, upbringing and community have on decision making
• To engage in self-reflection as a means of values clarification and self-actualization.
• To better relate to patients through an understanding that identity is influenced by personal experiences and forms the basis for behavioral expression and interpersonal reaction to the environment (Arnold & Boggs, 2011)
• Describe the impact of personal experiences on self-concept
• Apply understanding of personal self-concept to the patient’s self-concept
• Relate knowledge of the patient’s self-concept to the nurse-patient relationship
• Our collective experiences contribute to the person we have become.
Experiences are internalized from a number of sources:
Birth order, how we were treated within the family, educational experiences, the friends we had, the environment in which we grew up, etc.
• Think about your experiences from childhood to your current age.
kind of experiences influenced your life and the person you have become? Not all experiences are positive but they all have an impact and need to be integrated into our lives.
Describe the significant influences in your life and their influences, both positive and negative. How have you integrated these experiences into your life and the person you
• How do you believe your experience(s) can help you in your relationship with patients?
• Write a one page paper describing significant experiences in your life, how you have integrated them into the person you are now and how they contribute to your relationship with patients.
• Reflection papers should be written in essay format, not question and answer style.
• Correct Spelling (utilize the spell checker)
• Grammar and punctuation that reflects college level writing
• All papers are to be typed, 12 point Times New Roman format, double spaced, and in APA format (you do not have to include a cover page or “running head”)
• Length: 1 page.
• Headings for papers must include the following information:
-name of assignment
• A reference page with proper citations MUST accompany all papers (references are required for ALL papers)
• See general guidelines for the reflection paper and grading rubric below (“What is a reflection paper” guidelines can be found under the “Syllabus and Guides” tab in the Blackboard menu.)
• Arnold, E. & Boggs, K. (2011). Interpersonal relationships: Professional communication skills for nurses (6th ed.). Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co.