Personal Statement Instructions CSUEB MSW Program Application The Personal Statement is an opportunity for applicants to demonstrate strong writing and critical thinking skills. It also allows applicants to describe their interest in social work and their unique experiences and attributes that make them a good fit for the CSUEB MSW program. It is very important that applicants answer all the questions and:
1. write clearly and concisely, 2. proofread the writing, 3. do not exceed the three (3) page limit, and 4. use American Psychological Association (APA) format of typed, single-sided, double-spaced, 12 point font, with 1 inch margins. Be sure to use a clearly readable font such as Arial, Veranda, Times New Roman, or Calibri. NOTE: Applicants do not need to restate the questions, because this will take up more room. Instead, please number each section (1,2,3).
The mission statement of the CSUEB MSW program reads: The mission of the Master of Social Work program is to graduate culturally responsive urban social workers in the areas of Children, Youth, and Families and Community Mental Health. Social work graduates are well prepared to address individual, family, group, and community needs caused by inequalities of class and identity, including race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, immigration status, religion, caste and other forms of social injustice. Advocacy and social change to address these injustices form the core of the MSW program. With this mission in mind, please address the three topics below. For any of the topics, applicants may include personal or work/volunteer experiences that help give a richer answer.
1. Demonstrating your understanding of social work, please discuss your reasons for wanting an MSW, your expectations for being a professional social worker, and any particular populations or social issues of interest. 2. Discuss at least two (2) social justice issues (isms) you have experienced because of your involvement with and/or membership in a culture with which you identify. Social justice issues often relate to those items listed in our mission statement above, as well as many other experiences that can result in oppression such as health/mental health status, immigration, addiction, poverty/social class, educational access, criminal justice/incarceration, human trafficking, and violence. 3. Finally, make your elevator pitch: what makes you uniquely qualified to be accepted into the CSUEB MSW program?
- Compare/Contrast the US Census Briefs from 2010 vs 2020 for the below US Population Groups:
- Choose and read any one applied mini chapter from your text
- Consumers can make a difference with regard to environmental issues. The purpose of this assignment is to get you to think about how your individual choices in the marketplace can affect the local and global environment. For Part 1 of this exercise, go to a large grocery store such as Winn Dixie or Publix, and obtain the information necessary to answer the questions below. (Note: you don’t have to purchase anything, just record the information.)
- Complete the Personal Listening Style Profile in MindTap. Then write a short essay in which you report how you scored on this profile, whether you agree with the styles that the profile indicates are your dominant ones, and explain how your style helps and hinders your ability to actively listen. Then, based on what you have learned in Chapter 6 “Listening,” describe two or three steps you can take to improve your listening skills.
- Demonstrating your understanding of social work, please discuss your reasons for wanting an MSW, your expectations for being a professional social worker, and any particular populations or social issues of interest.
- Please include topics such as modern leadership in the digital world, leadership in a globalized world and leadership of millennials. Also, how leadership changed over time from an authoritatrian to a more democratic / enhancing leadership style.
- select 5 research articles that investigate the topic, each research journal should have a written description (requirements included in attachment), and must create a table of contents for the selected research article titles (requirements In attachment).
- Describe the evidence for the biological basis of the language disorder: Stuttering, using resources other than our textbook.
- What from their background, relationship to the Cherokees, and motivation for writing their accounts, would create their biases?
- Describe the process of how they were carried out, the outcomes, why they were successful, or not successful, and the lessons learned.